Job Seeker Tips
How to Maximize Your Job Fair Experience
Make a Good First Impression
- Practice a firm handshake
- Maintain good eye contact
- Wear business attire that is professional, clean, wrinkle-free, and well-fitting
- Polish your dress shoes
- Avoid coffee and cigarettes to reduce unpleasant odors
- Wear minimal cologne, perfume, make-up, and jewelry
Practice Your Introduction (“Elevator Speech”)
- Prepare a 20-second personal introduction to describe your relevant skills and experience
- This statement should emphasize your strengths and highlight your background
- Speak clearly and confidently
- If you need help creating your personal introduction, visit your local job center
Research the participating employers to demonstrate your interest in their products/services
- I read about your community service involvement on the company website; was your department involved in that project?
- What particular skills do you value most in a new hire?
- What do you like about working for your organization?
- Prepare for questions…
- You could receive an on-the-spot interview
- Be able to answer common questions about your interests, skills, and experience
- Apply for job openings online prior to the event
- Collect business cards for thank you notes and follow-up questions
- Make extra copies of your résumé