Remember, on the day of the job fairs, those recruiters are there just for you! Be prepared.
Before Your Job Fair
- Update your résumé(s) and bring extra copies when attending the in-person job fair.
- Set up your profile on Premier Virtual and customize it with a professional-looking photo and at least one resume.
- Watch tutorial videos like this one. You can find a collection of helpful training videos under the menu in your Premier Virtual account.
- Bookmark your dashboard or login page for easy access to your job fair.
- Research participating companies. Visit employer booths during the early access time on Premier Virtual, too.
- Make sure to avoid external distractions and technical difficulties during the virtual job fair.
- Prepare a short personalized introduction to describe your relevant skills and experience and let the employers know why you would be a good fit for their position(s).
Virtual Job Fair Tips
- Make a good first impression. Be friendly and responsive, participate in conversations within the chat, and ask relevant questions.
- Wear business attire that is professional, clean, wrinkle-free, and well-fitting. Be prepared to accept an invitation to connect on camera. Dressing for the job you’re targeting is essential, even if you’re connecting with hiring managers from across the screen.
In-Person Job Fair Tips
Practice Your Introduction (“Elevator Speech”)
Prepare a short personalized introduction to describe your relevant skills and experience. This statement should emphasize your strengths and highlight your background. If you need help creating your personal introduction, visit your local job center.
- BEFORE: Research the participating employers to demonstrate your interest in their products/services.
- Speak clearly with confidence and respect.
- Ask questions like:
- What particular skills do you value most in a new hire?
- What do you like about working for your organization?
- I read about your community service involvement on the company website; was your department involved in that project?
- Remember: You may be asked to interview on-the-spot.
- Be ready to answer common questions about your interests, skills, and experience as well as these commonly asked questions:
- Why do you want the job?
- Why do you think you would be an asset to the company?
- What was the most challenging situation you've faced, and how did you handle it?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- You can apply for job openings online prior to the event through your Premier Virtual account
- Collect business cards from employers and send thank-you notes and/or follow-up questions
- Take Notes: Bring a notepad or scan the QR code at each booth to use your Premier Virtual account to track your interactions and take notes