Remember, on the day of the job fairs, those recruiters are there just for you! Be prepared.
Before the Job Fairs:
- Attend the Get Hired! Workshop Event August 3rd for tips from industry professionals for a successful job fair
- Set up your profile and customize it with a professional-looking photo and at least one resume
- Watch the tutorial videos or attend a live training Q&A
- Bookmark the login page for easy access to your account
- Visit employer booths on the preview days to research participating companies and their current job openings
- Make sure to avoid EXTERNAL DISTRACTIONS & TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES during the virtual job fair
- Prepare a short personalized introduction to describe your relevant skills and experience and let the employers know why you would be a good fit for their position(s)
Virtual Job Fair Tips:
- Make a good first impression - Be friendly and responsive, participate in conversations within the chat and ask relevant questions
- Wear business attire that is professional, clean, wrinkle-free, and well-fitting. Be prepared to accept an invitation to connect on camera. Dressing for the job you’re targeting is essential, even if you’re connecting with hiring managers from across the screen
In-Person Job Fair Tips:
Practice Your Introduction (“Elevator Speech”)
- Prepare a short personalize introduction to describe your relevant skills and experience
- This statement should emphasize your strengths and highlight your background
- Speak clearly and confidently
- If you need help creating your personal introduction, visit your local job center
Research the participating employers to demonstrate your interest in their products/services
- I read about your community service involvement on the company website; was your department involved in that project?
- What particular skills do you value most in a new hire?
- What do you like about working for your organization?
- Prepare for questions…
- You could receive an on-the-spot interview
- Be able to answer common questions about your interests, skills, and experience
- Apply for job openings online prior to the event through your Virtual Job Fair account
- Collect business cards for thank you notes and follow-up questions
- Bring extra copies of your résumé